Tuesday, December 22, 2009



George Bernard Shaw said, "There are two tragedies in life. One is to lose your heart's desire. The other is to gain it."

I think what Shaw was trying to say is that its a tragedy to gain your heart's desire and realize that its not enough. It may be that boy, the one you know you'd be happy with, or maybe its a college, the one you've wanted to attend since you were little. It may even be the career path, the one you thought you wanted. Suppose you got all these things. What would happen if, once you had them, they turned out to be nothing like you expected?

In the past year, I wanted things. I wanted to date this boy. He was a boy from my past. We had dated before. And when our second (or third, or fourth...) chance came around, I took it. But I wasn't happy. He didn't make me happy. That realization broke my heart.

[The one on the left, licking my face.]

I was pursuing a degree in Finance at UALR. Somewhere in the middle of my accounting class, I realized that I had no desire to do this for the rest of my life. Sure, I'm a little lost and that scares me. I was always the "girl with a plan." Now I'm planless and I think I'm okay with that. Its not what you do that matters, its how much you enjoy doing it.

When it comes down to it, I'd rather gain my heart's desire and realize it's not enough, than to never have it at all. Because I'd be learning about myself. I wouldn't sit back and wonder "what if." Everytime I realize what I don't want, I'm one step closer to realizing what I do want.

SotD:: When it Comes by Tyler Hilton

Shaw also said, "A life spent making mistakes is not only more honorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing."

No comments: